Our Oshawa dental office at Lake Vista Dental provides periodontic services to treat gum disease. In its early stages, we can treat periodontal or gum disease with nonsurgical periodontal therapy. This procedure called scaling & root planing.
Scaling & root planing is a detailed gum disease treatment designed to remove toxins and bacteria from root surfaces of the teeth, which allows the body’s immune system to begin the healing process. It is meant to eliminate bacteria that cause gum disease and to shrink periodontal pockets that house bacteria.
If the periodontic disease is severe, this therapy often comes before a surgical procedure. This is done to improve overall tissue quality prior to surgery and to help limit the areas requiring surgery. Antibiotics may also be used to help control the growth of bacteria that lead to gum disease. It is important to proceed with gum treatment as soon as possible because periodontal disease is progressive, and bacteria and calculus build up need to be removed to prevent infection.
We are here to help evaluate your gums and decide what treatment would work best with the level of severity. Contact our Oshawa dentists at our Lake Vista Dental office to set up an appointment for an assessment on your gums.
Contact Lake Vista Dental
Dentist in Oshawa specializing in periodontal care
Gum Treatments: Restoring Gum Health for Optimal Oral Wellness
Gum Treatments in Oshawa offered by Family Dentists and Cosmetic Dentists in Oshawa focus on preserving and restoring the health of your gums. Also known as periodontal treatment, these procedures aim to address gum disease, prevent its progression, and promote overall oral wellness.
Gum disease, also referred to as periodontal disease, is a common oral health condition caused by bacterial infection and inflammation of the gums. If left untreated, it can lead to severe damage to the gums and supporting structures, potentially resulting in tooth loss and other complications. Gum Treatments aim to combat gum disease, alleviate symptoms, and restore the health of your gums.
The process of Gum Treatments typically involves the following steps:
- Initial Assessment: During your dental visit, a thorough examination of your gums will be conducted by the Family Dentists or Cosmetic Dentists in Oshawa. They will assess the health of your gums, measure periodontal pockets (spaces between the teeth and gums), and check for signs of inflammation, bleeding, or infection.
- Scaling and Root Planing: In the case of mild to moderate gum disease, a non-surgical procedure called scaling and root planing is often recommended. This involves removing plaque and tartar buildup from the gumline and the roots of the teeth. The dentist or dental hygienist will use specialized instruments to carefully clean and smooth the surfaces of the tooth roots, promoting gum reattachment and reducing the risk of further infection.
- Antibacterial Treatment: In some cases, antimicrobial agents or antibiotics may be prescribed to control the bacterial infection and promote healing. These can be administered topically or orally, depending on the severity of the gum disease.
- Periodontal Maintenance: After the initial treatment, regular follow-up visits will be necessary to monitor the progress of your gum health. These appointments may involve professional cleanings, periodontal examinations, and reinforcement of oral hygiene practices to prevent the recurrence of gum disease.
Identifying Signs and Symptoms: Common Gum Problems
Gum problems can manifest in various ways, and it is important to recognize the signs and symptoms to seek timely Gum Treatments in Oshawa provided by Family Dentists and Cosmetic Dentists in Oshawa. By being aware of these indicators, you can take proactive steps to address the underlying issues and maintain optimal gum health.
- Bleeding Gums: Healthy gums should not bleed during brushing, flossing, or eating. If you notice blood on your toothbrush, floss, or in the sink after oral hygiene practices, it may indicate gum inflammation or infection.
- Swollen or Tender Gums: Gums that appear red, swollen, or feel tender to the touch are often signs of gum disease. Inflamed gums can be sensitive and may cause discomfort or pain.
- Receding Gums: When the gumline begins to pull away from the teeth, exposing more of the tooth surface, it is called gum recession. This can make the teeth appear longer and may indicate underlying gum disease or other oral health issues.
- Persistent Bad Breath: Chronic bad breath that does not improve with regular oral hygiene practices could be a sign of gum infection. The bacteria responsible for gum disease can produce foul-smelling gases, resulting in persistent bad breath.
- Loose or Shifting Teeth: Gum disease can lead to the loss of bone support around the teeth, causing them to become loose or shift out of position. If you notice changes in the alignment or stability of your teeth, it is essential to seek professional dental care.
- Gum Sensitivity: Increased sensitivity of the gums to temperature changes, especially to hot or cold foods and beverages, can indicate gum problems. This sensitivity may be accompanied by discomfort or pain.
- Gum Abscess: An abscess is a localized infection that can develop within the gum tissue. It appears as a painful, swollen bump filled with pus. It requires immediate dental attention to prevent further complications.
It is crucial to understand that gum problems, if left untreated, can progress and lead to more severe oral health issues, such as advanced gum disease and tooth loss. Regular visits to a trusted Dental Clinic in Oshawa, such as ours, can help in the early identification and effective treatment of gum problems.
Gum Treatments work by effectively eliminating bacteria and reducing inflammation in the gums. They help halt the progression of gum disease, prevent further damage to the gums and supporting structures, and promote the regeneration of healthy gum tissues. By restoring gum health, these treatments contribute to the overall wellness of your mouth and support the longevity of your natural teeth.
Gum treatment and proper management of periodontal (gum and bone) disease are essential for maintaining not only oral health but also overall well-being. Extensive research has shown that gum disease can significantly increase the risk of various serious health conditions. At our dental clinic in Oshawa, we offer comprehensive gum treatments to address gum disease and minimize its impact on your health.
Gum disease has been linked to several systemic health issues, including heart disease and stroke. The presence of chronic inflammation in the gums can contribute to the development of cardiovascular problems and increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes. Additionally, respiratory diseases such as pneumonia have been associated with gum disease due to the inhalation of bacteria from the infected gums into the lungs.
Another critical connection is between gum disease and diabetes. Individuals with diabetes are more susceptible to infections, including gum infections. Conversely, untreated gum disease can make it challenging to control blood sugar levels, exacerbating diabetes symptoms and complications.
For expectant mothers, gum disease can pose risks to both their oral health and pregnancy. Pregnant women with untreated gum disease may be at a higher risk of premature and low birth weight deliveries, which can have long-term health implications for the baby.
At our dental clinic in Oshawa, our experienced team of family dentists and cosmetic dentists provides professional gum treatments tailored to your specific needs. We offer effective periodontal treatment options to combat gum disease, including deep cleaning procedures, scaling and root planing, and targeted antibiotic therapies. Our goal is to eliminate infection, reduce inflammation, and restore gum health.
By prioritizing gum treatments and maintaining good oral hygiene practices, you can significantly reduce the risk of gum disease-related complications and improve your overall health. Regular dental check-ups are crucial for the early detection and management of gum disease. Our family dentists and cosmetic dentists will monitor your gum health, provide personalized treatment plans, and offer guidance on effective oral hygiene techniques to prevent gum disease progression.
Don't overlook the importance of gum treatments in safeguarding your oral and systemic health. Contact our dental clinic in Oshawa today to schedule an appointment with our dedicated team. Let us help you maintain healthy gums, minimize the risk of gum disease-related health issues, and achieve a vibrant smile. With our expertise in gum treatments and comprehensive dental care, we are committed to supporting your optimal oral and overall well-being.
It is important to note that early detection and intervention are key to successful Gum Treatments. If you experience symptoms such as swollen, tender, or bleeding gums, persistent bad breath, loose teeth, or changes in your bite, it is crucial to seek the expertise of a Family Dentist or Cosmetic Dentist in Oshawa for an evaluation and appropriate Gum Disease Treatment.
Gum Treatments in Oshawa provided by Lake Vista Dental, our reputable Dental Clinic in Oshawa, are designed to restore gum health, combat gum disease, and promote optimal oral wellness. With the expertise of our skilled Family Dentists and Cosmetic Dentists, you can receive personalized periodontal care to address your specific needs. Take the necessary steps to protect your gums and preserve your natural teeth by choosing Lake Vista Dental for comprehensive Dental Services. Let us help you achieve and maintain a healthy, beautiful smile for years to come.
Lake Vista Dental offers Children's Dentistry, Dental Fillings, Dental Bonding, Dental Crowns, Dental Implants, Dental Veneers, Dental Surgery & Sedation Dentistry, Teeth Whitening, Emergency Dentist, Root Canal Treatment, Dentures, and Gum Treatments.
Request An Appointment
Use our online request form to set up your next appointment from the computer you are sitting at right now.Get In Touch
Questions Or Comments
Ask our team members an Oral Health question or leave a comment letting us know how we've made you smile.Call Now
Caring for Healthy Gums, Beautiful Smiles
Dentist in Oshawa, ON
Get in touch with us to discuss any dental treatment that you are interested in as well as to explore other available options. We have clients visiting our Dental Clinic from across Oshawa, Whitby, Bowmanville, Clarington, and the surrounding areas. Oshawa Dentists at Lake Vista Dental will work with you to give you the smile you deserve.